Monday, March 7, 2011

1st day of school...1st day of school!

Today was an eventful day for us!  Reid started his new job at Cerner (days) and so Jack started at "school" (daycare).  While we were getting ready to walk out the door, I couldn't help but think of Nemo on Finding Nemo saying, "First day of school, first day of school, time to get up dad!"  I believe my son may have inherited my excitement for the 1st day of school.  We got out the door on time and when I dropped him off, he went straight for the toys and I barely got a kiss goodbye! 
Of course, I should've never worried, but in the 5 minutes I was in the building, I didn't think I could've possibly have told the woman everything she needed to know about taking care of MY son!  This was his 1st time away from home with strangers.  Would he look up and realize I wasn't there and have a meltdown?  Would he hit?  Would he say something he shouldn't?  Would he be a bully to the kids or play/share well?  I should've trusted in the fact that we haven't raised him to be an animal, and that he is actually a sweet and polite boy to others, as well as to us.  I was an anxious wreck for about an hour after I got to work.  I called Reid and started to cry and he says, "Babe, why are you crying?!"  I wailed..."HE'S MY BABY!"  And he kindly reminded me, "He'll still be your baby when you pick him up after work."  (Thank you dear) 
I told myself not to call more than once, so I waited until 8:30 and made the call.  I got to talk to his teacher, which she eased all my worries.  I had heard a child screaming in the background when they picked up the phone and my heart sank.."oh dear, that's Jack" I thought.  But, to my surprise, Danielle said, "Jack's doing fabulous!  I can't believe how much he can talk!"  (He does take after his mother!)  :)  I started crying tears of joy and relief when I heard this.  So, all was well and my fears were put to rest.  And even though I wanted to call at lunch, I knew they'd call in an emergency.
When I went to pick him up, he didn't even run over to me in excitement!  Instead, he flung himself on the floor and wailed because he DIDN'T WANT TO LEAVE!  (He does take after my love of school!)  We got a great "daily report".  He slept 1 hour and 40 minutes, ate all his lunch, and said his "ABC's" to the teacher before naptime.  And we found out he'll be moving to the 2 year old preschool room on Monday, just in time for his birthday.  Miss Danielle circled "Sunny" to describe his day.  I can only hope for an equally as good of day tomorrow.
God is good.  I'm so thankful for kind people to watch my child and empathize with me as the mom.  Here's to another great day tomorrow.  We'll see how long our morning routine/schedule keeps up! 
Here's my big boy ready to walk out the door:
My handsome guys ready for their big days:
Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Oh, he's so grown up already! I love that the teacher commented on how much of a talker he is. Seriously - Sarah is always blown away by how well he speaks, too. Good job, Jack!!