Sunday, March 28, 2010

Fun Weekend in Hastings

Well, it's getting late on Sunday and I'm still in need of about 12 more hours of recoup time, but tomorrow will be here before I know it.  We had a fantastic weekend in Hastings, my hometown.  It was my high school's alumni weekend.  It's an annual event where the men have a basketball tournament and the women have a volleyball tournament.  You play with your graduating class and it's always a fun time to reconnect with old friends.  Then there's a big shindig afterwards with dinner/beer/raffles.  It was just so fun this year to see my high school classmates.  Some of them I haven't seen in almost 8 years, since we graduated!  It was nice to be able to catch up.  Our class fared decent in the volleyball tournament.  We played four games, more than I did the last time we played, and went 2-2.  I love to play, but my body is paying after playing 4 games in less than 24 hrs. 
What was even more fun, was the fact that my 2 little brothers, whom have graduated, got to come back too.  We had a giant sleepover at our house.  We haven't been home since Christmas.  Jack did very well and slept fairly well for being in an unfamiliar place. 
A couple of "Jack updates":
1) We've been trying to transition Jack to cow's milk, since turning 1.  I'm not sure why I'm hung up on the doctor's "advice", but I went to the whole milk, like suggested first.  Well, he HATES it.  The second night he drank it, he woke up 4 times in the middle of the night and screamed for almost 20-30 minutes.  I think it was gas and teething combined, but it was NOT fun.  I just don't think his little tummy likes it.  And, I shouldn't be surprised; he's been on soy formula since he was very little.  So, instead of going from whole - lactaid - soy, I'm going straight to soy tomorrow.  I'm hoping he enjoys the taste a little bit more.  And if not, I've got a few more tricks up my sleeve to try and get him to drink milk.  He's supposed to be having 16-24 ozs of milk a DAY!  And today he probably had maybe 3 ozs.  He just doesn't like it and he throws his cup back at me.
2) Jack's 7th tooth appeared last week!  That's 4 teeth threw in less than a month!!  It may be part of the reason for the fussiness.  Ibuprofen is still our best friend for these times.
3) He's started to bite things with his front teeth.  So, he'll take a green bean, for example, and he'll bite off half, chew it up, and then finish the bean.  It's just so cute to me, that he knows not to shovel in everything at once anymore.
4) Jack had his first fast food this weekend.  He ate a cheeseburger and fries and some mandarin oranges at Wendy's today.  I think he's going to like Wendy's like his mommy and daddy.  :) 
5) We've started to work on his words more and identifying objects.  I'm happy to report that Jack knows fan and shoe!  It's rewarding for me as a parent to see him learning new things. 
Ok, I think that's about it for now.  This week is Holy Week at my church and so I'll be busy with singing in the choir Wed-Sunday!  We're taking Jack to an Easter egg hunt on Saturday and celebrating with dinner with the Kirby family, as well.  It should be a fun week! 
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment